(Exercising Your Mind) 3 Stages x 3 Levels = 9 Step Frame.
Haiku Science Academy 9-Stage Frame (HSA 9-SF) for
Developing English as an Additional Language (DEAL)
Summary Titles and Detailed Descriptors.
A– Pre-Elementary | A1– Elementary | A2– Upper Elementary
B– Pre-intermediate | B1– Intermediate | B2– Upper Intermediate
C– Pre-advanced | C1– Advanced | C2– Upper Advanced (Fluent)
- A- Pre-Elementary: Has the ability to use only a few isolated English words. Practically no written or spoken English is understood.
- A1- Elementary: Can communicate immediate needs in familiar situations using short sentences or isolated words. Understanding written and spoken English is very limited.
- A2- Upper Elementary: Communication is limited to specific interactions in very familiar situations. Communication breakdowns occur frequently.
- B- Pre-intermediate: Capable of communicating in familiar situations with some breakdowns of interaction. Incapable of using complex language.
- B1- Intermediate: Can handle basic communication in most situations with limited language capability. Few communication breakdowns occur, while prone to make mistakes with grammar and syntax.
- B2- Upper Intermediate: Capable of effective communication in a broad range of situations, with improved ability to use complex language in familiar situations. Some inaccurate use of language, and misunderstanding are expected.
- C- Pre-advanced: Capable of a broad application of effective communication using detailed, complex language, and adequate reasoning except for some unfamiliar situations.
- C1- Advanced: Highly capable of effective, interactive communication using precise, complex language, and fine reasoning with the exception of a few unusual circumstances.
- C2- Upper Advanced (Fluent): Supremely capable of competent discourse, and interactive communication using exceptionally complex language and critical thinking with a high degree of accuracy, corresponding with that of a high-level, professional communicator.
The following sources are the elements used to synthesize this framework:
- New Concept English by L.G. Alexander
- Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (CELTA)
- 9 Dimensions of KappaGuerra – H.A.B. Alexander